Juvederm is a family of injectable hyaluronic acid dermal fillers used to provide 9 months to one year of correction for moderate to severe facial wrinkles and folds, such as nasolabial folds (lines from the nose to the corners of the mouth). It is also used for lip augmentation.
Juvederm products are a smooth consistency gel, compared to some hyaluronic gel products that have a granular consistency. Juvederm products are developed using the Hylacross technology to allow a smoother, malleable gel. Hyaluronic acid is a naturally occurring sugar found in the body. Hyaluronic acid works by holding in water at the injection site and acting as a cushioning agent. It adds temporary volume and a smoother appearance to skin. Most patients need more than one treatment to achieve optimal results.
Juvederm XC products also contain the local anesthetic lidocaine for a more comfortable injection as this numbs the treatment area within seconds. The Juvederm Ultra XC products contain more highly cross-linked formulations for volumizing and correction of deeper folds and wrinkles.
The Juvederm range of products are designed to meet specific needs depending on the area of the face being treated and increase in volume required.
- Juvederm Volbella® XC is used for lips and around the lip area to add subtle volume and to smooth vertical lip lines
- Juvederm® Ultra XC is also for the lip and surrounding tissue but is designed to add more fullness than Juvederm Volbella® XC
- Juvederm Voluma® XC is for the cheek area to give a subtle lift that increases volume and contours cheek area
- Juvederm® XC Is suitable for moderate or severe facial folds or wrinkles such as the fold that runs from your nose to mouth (parentheses lines)
- Juvederm Vollure™ XC is also suitable for moderate or severe facial wrinkles or folds, but may last longer than Juvederm® XC